Have you ever used basil essential oil? If not, this article will tell you exactly why you should start. Basil essential oil has numerous health benefits that most people are unaware of. Basil itself is commonly used as a herb while cooking but the oil is not as well-known. Those who learn about essential oils will know how beneficial basil oil can be. However, it is important to acquire it from a high quality source. Purity of the oil will play a big role in how effective it is while being used.
So where do you get this essential oil? It is obtained by extracting the essence of Ocimum basilicum plant. It is commonly known as sweet basil oil in most places. The basil leaves or seeds are considerably well known and used in different kinds of cuisine from around the world. This herb is especially popular in Europe, Southeast Asia and Central Asia. Basil oil is used for cooking in Italy as well as the Mediterranean region. Most people will think of basil when they think of pasta. Basil was a widely used herb in ancient times when Ayurvedic medicine was more prevalent. There are various health issues that can be treated with the help of this herb. As you read on, you will learn of the number of benefits basil essential oil has.
Benefits of Basil essential oil:
1. Basil essential oil works like a digestive tonic. It helps in improving digestion. The oil has carminative properties that provide relief from conditions like constipation, flatulence, indigestion or cramps. It will also help in relieving gas from your intestine or stomach. The colic properties of this oil make it effective in alleviating bowel pain.
2. Basil essential oil can alleviate symptoms of Asthma. It is known to help in the treatment of asthma, sinus infections as well as bronchitis.
3. Basil essential oil helps in relieving colds. In case of a cold, fever or influenza, this oil is used to provide relief to the person. It has antispasmodic properties due to which the oil has been used for reducing whooping cough symptoms for a long time.
4. Basil essential oil works as an analgesic. This means that the oil can provide relief from pain. It is used for treating people with arthritis to help reduce the associated pain. The oil is also used for sports injuries, sprains, would, headaches and bruises.
5. Basil essential oil may fight bacteria. Research says that this oil has the potential to fight against E. coli bacteria.
6. Basil essential oil works as an insect repellant and is antifungal. This oil is much less toxic compared to other commercially produced antifungal agents. A study conducted by S.Dube showed that this oil can inhibit growth of fungi and also repel Allacophora foveicolli insects.
7. Basil essential oil is used in aromatherapy due to its calming nature. The refreshing aroma of this oil helps people in alleviating stress, fatigue, migraines and even depression. It is also consumed in some cases when instructed by an expert. In general, this oil is diffused to help people gain mental clarity and strength.
8. Basil essential oil improves blood circulation. It is used for increasing the blood flow in an optimal way and can improve the overall metabolic function of the body.
Certain oils blend well with basil essential oil and can be used for various purposes. Some of these complimentary oils include geranium, lemongrass, lavender, cypress, bergamot, wintergreen and peppermint essential oil.
Uses of basil essential oil:
The oil can be used in many different ways for a variety of purposes. The following are some of the ways in which you can make use of basil essential oil:
● Diffuse it in a room when you are working or studying. It will help in increasing focus and mental clarity.
● Mix basil essential oil with a carrier oil and massage it into any sore muscles or joints that are causing pain. It will provide relief and reduce such pain.
● Use a diffuser with basil oil to help in clearing breathing when you suffer from cold, asthma or bronchitis.
● Add a couple of drops of the oil to food for better flavour and more health benefit.
● Dilute the oil with a carrier oil and apply to any region with minor skin irritation. It will provide relief and soothe the skin.
● Massage the oil on feet with a carrier oil to fight fatigue.
● Use the oil to create your own chemical free home cleaner. It will help in killing bacteria and fungi.
● Mix a few drops of basil oil with baking soda to clean utensils. It gets rid of stubborn stains.
● Mix basil oil with a carrier oil and rub a little behind the ears. It helps in recovering faster from any ear infection.
● Dilute a few drops of basil oil with a carrier oil and spray to repel insects and soothe bites on skin.
● Basil essential oil should be avoided during pregnancy or breastfeeding. While some people might suggest it is helpful, such concentrated essential oils should be avoided for better caution.
● Do a patch test to check for allergies or any negative reaction from this oil.
● If you suffer from any issues or are using medication, consult your physician to check if it is safe to use the oil.
● Try to avoid direct use and blend the oil with a carrier oil for safety.
● Avoid contact with the eyes and inner ears.