Peppermint essential oil is extracted from the parts of Mentha Piperita or peppermint plant. The oil is generally obtained from the peppermint leaves in particular with the help of various extraction methods. Menthol and menthone are two of the main chemical components in the oil. It has a long history of being used for medicinal and culinary purposes. The taste, as well as the strong aroma of peppermint oil, appeals to most people. This is why it is used as an ingredient in different things like teas, candles, soaps and even candies.
You may be wondering about the potential health benefits of peppermint essential oil. The following points will help you understand why it has been such a popular aromatherapy component over the years.
1. Peppermint oil can alleviate nausea:
Nausea can be caused by many different conditions. It could be due to motion sickness, morning sickness, vertigo or even be a postoperative symptom. Studies show that people who inhale peppermint smell feel comparatively less nauseous. Although there is no concrete evidence to prove this, it may be helpful.
2. Peppermint oil can be used for treating pain:
Studies show that applying peppermint oil can help in alleviating pain to a certain extent. It especially helps you people who suffer from headaches or migraines. The menthol component peppermint oil is one of the main reasons behind this.
3. Peppermint oil can improve skin and hair:
This is why the oil is extensively used as an ingredient in various cosmetic products. It helps in relieving any itchiness on skin as well. Certain studies show that the oil can help in growing longer and thicker hair.
4. Peppermint oil has antimicrobial properties:
The oil has been effective against certain strains of bacteria, not all. It also has mild antifungal properties.
Here are some great ways to use peppermint oil for yourself:
● Diffuse the aroma of peppermint oil with the help of a diffuser. You can also use a simple hack where a few drops of peppermint oil are placed on a cotton ball and kept in corners. The strong aroma of this oil will keep you alert and more focused. It will help in calming your mind and reducing stress or anxiety.
● Apply peppermint oil topically to aid in pain relief. Create an essential oil blend with other oils or just mix with a carrier oil. Then use this oil to massage on any part of the body that is causing pain. It could be joint pain, headaches or even injuries.
● Use peppermint oil for oral cleansing. A few drops of the oil can be mixed with water to rinse your mouth. You can also mix some peppermint oil with salt to brush your teeth.
● The oil can be used for repelling bugs. Mix peppermint oil with a carrier oil and create an anti bug spray. Spray a little non your skin when exposed to any bug infested area.
Peppermint oil is a great essential oil to use for various health benefits. You can use it with many other essential oils to create different kinds of aromatherapy blends.
Peppermint oil should be diluted with a carrier oil before any direct topical application. Store the oil in a cool corner in dark glass bottles. Keep the oil away from direct sunlight as it may change chemical composition due to UV rays. Use the oil with caution and after consulting a physician if you suffer from any particular illness.